Holland is a village in Lucas County, Ohio, United States. Holland is a suburb of Toledo. The population was 1,764 at the 2010 census. Holland is home to the J.H. Fentress Antique Popcorn Museum.
The first name of the village was Drakes, which possibly came from the name of a family or was in reference to the large number of geese that did and still fly over the area. Later the crossroads called itself Hardy, which is probably taken from Samuel Hardy, who was one of the signers of a document (along with Thomas Jefferson, Arthur Lee and James Monroe) that ceded the northwest territories of Virginia to the government of the United States. He was a member of the Continental Congress in 1783-1785 and had been a lieutenant governor of Virginia.
The name of Holland has been thought to have come from the fact that ditches being dug in the 1850s to divert the swamp water reminded people of the canals of Holland. Some have said the name was given because of the large number of Dutch people in the area, but there were more New Englanders and New Yorkers in the early settlements than there were Dutchmen. The most likely derivation of the name comes from a story about Franklin Hall (an early house builder in the area) that states when he platted the land for the building of his houses, he asked that it be called Hall Land. Supposedly, the clerk or other official changed the “a” to an “o” and eliminated one “l”, thus Holland.
On May 22, 1852, the first train ran between Toledo and Chicago, on two roads, the Michigan Southern and the Indiana Northern. Three years later, the two railroads consolidated and the Air Line began traversing the rails from Toledo to Elkhart, Indiana. Records of the Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad show a station in the area in 1860 with no name, but freight and passengers from that site. In their records of 1880, it shows Holland having a population of 230 people, with the tons of freight increasing almost 20 times while the number of passengers increased by approximately 400% from 1860 to 1880.
In the early 1860s, Robert Clark began developing land north of the railroad and Franklin Hall built houses south of the railroad. Their names are still memorialized in those respective areas by Clark and Hall Streets.
DON'T MISS A NEW LISTING AGAIN!
FREE AUTOMATED EMAIL UPDATES
The Larry Cain Group
Copyright © 2017, All Rights Reserved
©2017 NORIS.All rights reserved. The data relating to real estate for sale on this website comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of the NORIS MLS. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than The Larry Cain Group are marked with the BR logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. Information provided is for consumer's personal, non-commericial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. The Larry Cain Group does not display the entire NORIS database on this website. The listings of some real estate broker age firms have been excluded. IDX data is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed. Listing broker has attempted to offer accurate data, but buyers are advised to confirm all items. Information last updated on 2017-11-21